Sunday, March 05, 2006

LUTHERAN MEETS 7TH DAY ADVENTIST

Lutheran-Baptist Meets Seventh-Day AdventistI walked into my new friend's kitchen and was rocked back in time to my childhood. Grandma's kitchen: Homemade peach cobbler cooling on the counter, homemade fried chicken, ditto (no such thing as Kentucky Fried Chicken), baked beans (real, not canned), potato salad, macaroni salad, and, of course, lemon jello salad with celery, walnuts, apples, bananas and a jar of homemade topping. Jars of homemade bread n' butter pickles, stuffed celery, canned, Queen Ann Cherries, store bought olives and rolls. I'm only remembering some of the dishes prepared ahead for Sunday Dinner. Grandma didn't work on the Sabbath but the family must go to church and come together for dinner on Sunday. All of us cousins were kind of like 'litter-mates'. No movies, no card games, all family.
When I fell back in time and space I was in my friend's kitchen again and there was the 'before Sabbath array'- only it was Friday night. I was in a home that honored the Sabbath by whatever name and I felt right at home, tears of nostalgia in my eyes.
That was a couple of years ago and we're even better friends now. We study together, sing hymns to the Lord together and pray together. We are Christians, sister's in Christ.
Thank you, Holy Spirit, for convicting me and leading me back into the habit of honoring my Father's Holy Day.
@copyright 2006 Karen's Passage

4 comments:

Pirate said...

my great grandfather was a Seventh day Adventist minister for over 50 years. My grandmother is still alive in Willows California at 102 years old.

Karen1776 said...

Hey Pirate,

Read your blog and I guess I'm a little touchy about observing the Sabbath now days too, it just doesn't matter which Sabbath.

I believe "time" is part of the creation, God isn't caged by it the way we are, He isn't 'in' it. He 'made' it.

Also cought your reference to the 'great debate' with the 'godless, zoned-out' one.
I've decided you're right, those debates are pointless, everyone ends up with the same belief's they start out with.

It's especially dull if the con-side just wants to take 'pot shots'
and really doesn't have anything to say.

Take care brother,
Karen

Pirate said...

I have been commenting with the NoGodZone blogger and am searching for common ground in order to build a pathway for him. honey vs. vineager

anup.777 said...

Absolutely agree with u sis! The Sabbath was always meant to be kept Holy ... I'm so glad u r into it ... I'm trying too ... :)