Friday, January 20, 2006

MY AUNT MILDRED


COLORING BOOKS, AUNT MILDRED AND BILLY GRAHAM
Remember coloring with your Aunt when you we're a little girl? I had one Aunt who made me stay in the lines, it was very important. My Aunt Mildred didn't make me stay in the lines and rhinos didn't have to be grey. I could color with humor, adventure and even experiment.
Aunt Mildred used to discuss all of her ideas with me, just like I was a grown up. Once she was even a John Bircher, everybody thought that was a scandal. She talked about wood grain and wood smells as she refinished furniture, in paint spattered jeans and an old plaid shirt. She never seemed to mind being dirty.
She took me to Art Galleries,antique stores, camping and when I was almost a teenager she took me to see Billy Graham at the Cow Palace in San Francisco. I can't even remember who else was there, just me and Aunt Mildred and Billy Graham. Then God was there and I swore that if I ever got to see Billy Graham again I would go forward.
Many years passed and I finally accepted God in my life and through all those years until she passed away Aunt Mildred and I corresponded in an 'out side the lines' kind of way. And about three years ago I got to see Billy Graham in Fresno, California and yes, I did go forward. My Aunt Mildred was on my mind the whole time. In fact, she's often on my mind. @ copyright 2006 Karen's Passage

No comments: