Sunday, February 12, 2006

DIVIDE AND CONQUER


DIVIDE AND CONQUER (SATAN MAY BE EVIL BUT HE'S NOT STUPID)
In New Testament times the names of the church's were designated by their geographic location, the Church at Corinth, the Church at Ephesus and so on.
There were no denominations, rather, "one church" with Christ at its head.
Christ asked His Father in John 17 that those who believe in him all 'be as one' and that they all be 'perfected in unity'.
Now, I know another way has become natural to us in this world but does that make it right? It occurs to me that what seems right in the world is not a good measure for what is right in the eyes of God. Jesus said we would be known (or recognizable) by our love for one another. Jesus asked that we would be as one, perfected in unity.
And what of denominations, divisions and quarrels?
Paul says in 1 Cor 1:10-13, "Now I exhort you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you all agree and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be made complete in the same mind and in the same judgment. For I have been informed concerning you, my brethren, by Chloe's people, that there are quarrels among you. Now, I mean this, that each one of you is saying, "I am of Paul," and "I am of Apollos," and "I of Cephas," and "I of Christ." Has Christ been divided? Paul was not crucified for you, was he? Or were you baptized in the name of Paul?"
I know this won't be a popular opinion but I can't help but believe that denominations are an abomination. Paul asks,"Has Christ been divided?" Will heaven be divided for our convenience?
I think not, we are to be a reflection of heaven, surely heaven is not to be a reflection of the world.
People often ask, what's happened to the power which the early church had: to heal, to exorcise, to spread the Holy Spirit - perhaps, it's deteriorated along with the love and unity. At least, as it is meant to be, it is food for thought.
@copyright 2006 Karen's Passage

1 comment:

Hikoi Diary said...

I have a friend who speaks of the "HA" or "AH" phenomena - those moments when the universal sounds of discovery and recognition come to us unsolicited and leave us smiling and satisfied. I had such a moment reading you blog. I thank you for sharing your passage through mortality, and for your kind interest in my own journey.
Anahera