Saturday, February 11, 2006

GREAT COMMISSION


THE GREAT COMMISSION
For those who always ask, why am I here, what is my purpose? I spent years in evening classes and reading books on philosophy and science trying to figure it out. It didn't help much. But the Lord had a great answer for me. What's it all about Alfie, "It's about the Great Commission."
Mt 28:18-20 Then Jesus came to them and said, "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore, go and make desciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."
John 13:35 "By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another."
I try to quiet the clashing, the noise and chaos in my life by making this the criteria for all my actions. I have a feeling the whole body of philosopy is just man seeking God. Well, if a picture is worth a thousand words then the classic painting of man and God reaching out to each other says it all. Science is on the same track. God alone knows what the druggies are after, oblivion?

And how does that oblivion differ from the oblivion we all seek in every day life? The minute we walk in the house the television or music must go on, in the car the radio must be on and like as not we have a cell phone glued to our ear shopping and driving. We are under a constant barrage of distraction. We can't even be 'on hold' without noise blasting in our ear. Can we never be quiet and think? Would it really be so bad? God said, "Be silent and listen."

Lord, help me keep focused on You and through the Holy Spirit draw me closer, ever closer as my life draws closer in joy to my eternity with You. Amen

@copyright 2006 Karen's Passage

2 comments:

anup.777 said...

yes... and that's just what this quest is all about ... trying to walk in love ... being an example for others ... that there's something better in us... and when they find that something is God, ... that draws them to Him ... sadly, more often than not, most Christians (me included) aren't exactly model citizens ... and if there's nothing special about us ... no one will be drawn to God ...

Karen1776 said...

Amen, Anup